Saturday, June 5, 2010

What is a "Values-Driven Pro?"

I decided to focus my practice a number of years ago. I had been a career coach for a year or two and I started to notice that certain clients stood out for me more than others. I was compelled to certain conversations and turned off to others. This was a period of time where I was a bit confused. When I started my coaching practice, I was catering to Gen X and Y clients, which is still a large part of my practice. However, I soon realized that I was still working with a population that was too large and something wasn't working for me entirely. So I took a sample of the hundred or so clients that I had worked with and divided them up into three categories: 1) Most successful and enjoyable, 2) Moderately successful and enjoyable, and 3) Least successful and enjoyable. I then look at the themes that I could glean from categories one and three. What I found was a bit surprising. All of my clients in category one were mission-driven. They came to me asking for help to find careers that were more meaningful, where they could make a difference. I also found a kernel in category three - the clients who wanted to make more money or be more "successful." I couldn't really relate to this latter conversation. So began a new path in my own journey, supporting the clients where I could be most effective - career and leadership development for values-driven professionals.

From over seven years of coaching this population, I define a "values-driven pro" as someone who is:
- aware of his/her core values
- intrinsically driven to make a difference based on those values
- intellectually curious to examine the root causes of social challenges
- ready to challenge conventional thinking by asking the tough questions
- resourceful and creative in transforming ideas into social innovation
- open to the journey that transcends self interest to a journey of service

No comments:

Post a Comment